Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

The Invalid

We can't seem to be healthy around here.  It started with colds and fevers right after Christmas and has continued from there with multiple other viruses.  Currently, we're battling the fast and furious tummy bug.  My precious button of a boy awoke in jolly spirits as usual but after partaking his breakfast smoothie proceeded to...uh...revisit it, a practice that continued for the rest of the day.  He was pretty happy between "episodes" for a little while but gradually lost his trademark joy and constant movement - which was sad to see but a blessed relief for the carpeting.  We will need to rent a steamer.

He then sighed and rested in my lap for most of the morning while watching Thomas the Tank Engine.  I snapped this picture while returning from the bathroom.  Note the sunken eyes, the pathetic slump, the hopeless expression, perhaps the fleeting desire to no longer continue on this earth.  He is wearing outfit #5 in this picture and it was only 11am. 


You know he's desperately ill if he falls asleep in the busiest room of the house.  That wee stainless steel bowl was his constant companion all day.  It is so small and precious I teared up a few times while washing it out. 


He then slept for most of the afternoon but wasn't completely healed when he woke.  This is his second time with this particular tummy bug but the first time wasn't as dramatic or lengthy.  My poor little invalid. 

3 comments:

Sarah :) said...

I can't believe you kept putting clean clothes on him. Let me rephrase that - ANY clothes on him! I think by time #3 I just wrapped mine up in some blankets and put a towel on top - and then he watched 101 Dalmations 5 times for the rest of the day.

Angela said...

Oooo, just thought on what to do for continous vomiting...naked with towel wrapped around and clothespinned at the back...

Hannah said...

Towel and clothespin - definitely doing that next time! I guess I kept thinking "it can't possibly continue!" and then it did :-D