Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

A Shocking Realization

Today, I came to a conclusion.  It has destroyed much of who I consider myself to be, who I am, what I am, and the type of people with whom I feel deeply connected.  I'm not even sure my family will continue to accept me. 

It has caused me to question everything I've ever claimed about myself.  I'm going through an extreme internal makeover.  Do I really like the color green?  Maybe I enjoy sweating?  Perhaps I actually love tofu and just haven't been honest with myself? 

What is my name?

It happened this morning.  I boiled some water, I placed a tea bag into a mug, I poured in the water and watched it steep.  Then it came to me - like a lightening bolt, a wrecking ball, a slap in the face...

I don't like tea!

I drink it because of its medicinal purposes.  I drink it because it helps me talk in the morning.  I drink it because its offered to me.  I drink it because it's something rather than coffee - something I am embarrassed to drink in public because I have to add a disgusting amount of sugar and creamer before I can enjoy it.  And with tea, it's almost the same thing.  Only, it just doesn't do it for me unless its Southern sweet...and ice cold.  And I know all that sugar is so, so bad for me - so what's a girl to do?

Usually, I make tea, take a couple sips then just leave it and it gets tepid and to strong.  Then I will gulp it down out of guilt because I made it and now it's wasting - and I like tea, right?

Occasionally, I like a cup of tea for health, for the heat, for the conversation.  But in all honesty, I'd rather have a mug of revoltingly thick hot cocoa topped with marshmallows and maybe some whipped cream, too. 

It's just who I am. 

Mother?  Will you still claim me?

Your Twenty-Something Life Crisis Daughter

5 comments:

whenpigsfly said...

This would be the admission in my family about coffee!!! i was pretty worried about you when I read you header.I'm really relieved this was about tea! LOL!!!!!

Renia said...

:) Loved it. We too like Southern tea and sweet coffee. We now use Splenda--we find it is sweeter than suger wo we don't have to add as much. ;) For something warm and healthy--have youever tried hot molasses tea? (Cup of hot water and add 1 tsp to 1TBSP molasses.) It is as anquired taste but I like it and it has iron so it is good for you too.

Anonymous said...

Hannah, I love reading your blog so I thought I'd finally comment on it. I feel the same way about black tea but I've started drinking Oolong tea (super good for you) and I get it from Rose Mountain Herbs http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/search/search.php?keywords=oolong
I love it with whole milk and some agave nectar.

Amy (Angela's sister)

Hannah said...

Linda - haha! Glad you aren't worried about my tea rebellion...

Renia - molasses tea? Now that sounds interesting!

Amy - I'm so glad you're here! Thanks for the lip balm, btw ;-) I have never ordered from mrh but I've browsed their site a few times - looks like good stuff!
I don't want to sound like a whistle blower, but have you read this article? It changed my mind on agave : http://www.safbaby.com/agave-nectar-not-a-safe-alternative-sweetener-for-your-family

Sarah said...

Alas, Hannah, I fear we can no longer be friends.

Tea is a cup of life. ~Author Unknown

If you are cold, tea will warm you. If you are too heated, it will cool you. If you are depressed, it will cheer you. If you are excited, it will calm you. ~Gladstone, 1865

Strange how a teapot can represent at the same time the comforts of solitude and the pleasures of company. ~Author Unknown

Just kidding of course. It is a strange sensation to reject something that we have done for so long with the realization that we were doing it for someone else.