Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

The Fudge




I feel guilty just posting this.  See, I've recently started eliminating refined sugar and flour from our diet for a variety of reasons and replaced them with whole food substitutes.  But sometimes there are certain things I just can't bear to modify simply because I know they will still be a big pile of sugary junk delight and won't taste the same.  And they probably won't be all that healthy anyway. 

Of course, everything in moderation.  I wouldn't recommend eating a whole pan of fudge, even healthy fudge (isn't "healthy fudge" an oxymoron?) because you feel slightly sick and your husband gives you an amazed/questioning look.  Not, um, that I, uh, speak from experience.

If you want to make some healthy fudge (and I know there are some recipes out there) be my guest.  And if you wouldn't mind bringing it to me afterward, I'm a health food nut and I'd be more than *burp* happy to lengthen my lifespan in that way. 

So with all that being said, here it is, my friends.  The most wonderful fudge in the world - and it's so easy!!!  This is a favorite childhood memory of mine and the recipe can be easily modified to plain, walnut or peppermint. 


1 2/3 cup SUGAR
2/3 cup EVAPORATED MILK
1/2 tsp SALT
2 Tbsp BUTTER (not "BUT")


 Dump them in a pan together over medium/high heat.


Stir it around with a whisk as it melts and comes to a boil.


 Once it hits a boil, set a timer for 5 minutes and keep stirring.

I take a little break to butter a 9x9.
Or a 7x11 if you are like me and don't own a 9x9 (how, I am not sure).
This is a 7x11 so don't get confused and butter a 9x13!

Unless you doubled the batch - something I would highly recommend 
if you want some left for everyone else.


 Once the 5 minutes are over, remove from heat and add 1/2 a tsp. of vanilla or peppermint extract.

This is vanilla.  It makes the mixture bubble up again as the alcohol ignites.  

Cool, huh?

1/2 tsp VANILLA or PEPPERMINT EXTRACT
1 1/2 cups CHOC. CHIPS & 1 1/2 cups MARSHMALLOWS

 Dump 'em in.


 Mix 'em up until they're all melty.


Before you started all this, and only if you want them, chop up some nuts.

1/2 cup chopped WALNUTS

 Dump them in and mix them around, too.  
Take the pan in front of the window to get a completely different lighting.  
I am not a photographer.  I think I've said it before, but I'm just saying it again.


 Dump them into that buttered 9x9 or 7x11 pan and smooth it out.


Uh-huh.  Yummy.


Put it in a far away place where it can cool and where you can completely forget about it so you will not go and eat it with a spoon while it's still warm.  

But you can certainly take this opportunity to lick the spatula and the sauce pan.

After it's cooled, which takes quite a few hours (you can speed it up in the fridge - about 5 hours?)
cut it up into small, teensy pieces then place them on your favorite holiday plate.  


The tiny pieces are so you don't feel bad about eating the whole pan because they were such small pieces.  This is how my mind works.  It's twisted and illogical but I'm enjoying myself.

Like I said above, you can use either vanilla or peppermint extract.  If you want to throw in an extra 1/8-1/4 cup of marshmallows it takes longer for them to melt but will make a lighter, chewier fudge.  If you're feeling fancy, garnish the top with chopped walnuts or broken peppermints.



Mom's Five Minute Fudge

2/3 cup evaporated milk
1 2/3 cup sugar
2 Tbs butter
1/2 tsp salt

Bring to boil for 5 minutes.  Add:

1/2 tsp vanilla or peppermint extract (Note: if you are doubling this recipe, go less)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups marshmallows (or more if desired)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

ENJOY!!

And be sure to share, we want to get through this season alive.

4 comments:

Julie said...

Oooooooh heavens thank you for posting that!:)

mom24jewels said...

Yum!! I think we have a new recipe to add to the box:)
Thanks so much!!
Oh- and the instructions and pictures are perfect for us, too!!

Beth Ann Zeller said...

Thanks for calling it "Mom's fudge" We've already gone through a triple batch, and Heidi isn't even home yet... you know what that means... I've laid in 8 bags of choc. chips in preparation for her arrival.

And, you ARE a photographer!

Hannah said...

Julie & Lesly - hope you guys enjoy it!

Mom - it's how I know it! I'm wishing I could be there with all of you to enjoy it but I will make a pan in honor of Christmas past :-)