Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

"No Problem"

My usual response when someone thanks me for a favor is "no problem."  I guess this phrase is supposed to assure the recipient that it really wasn't much, what I have done didn't inconvenienced me - it was on my way, don't worry about it, aw shucks it weren't nothin'.

But sometimes it is something.  It is a sacrifice.  And truly, that makes the favor a favor not just something I found easy to do along the way. 

If you haven't heard, my brother in law was completely paralyzed in April with Guillian-Barre Syndrome.  He is healing slowly and can finally breath and eat on his own, but it's been a long journey - a journey that has a ways to go yet.  His wife, my sister, Marie and their sweet son, Tobias have been along for that journey, too. 
And the help they have received from our brothers and sisters in Christ has been far more than "no problem".  

- Delivering beautiful & delicious meals, sometimes accompanied by fresh flowers and little goodies taking into account all specific dietary needs
- Coming to clean the house regularly
- Taking shifts in helping Michael, often night shifts
- Coming at any hour to check on things around the house
- Doctor friends making house calls on their own time
- Noticing house maintenance and doing it
- Coming to live with them to serve full-time
- Praying dedicatedly
- Sending cards of encouragement
- Helping financially

I thanked every person I saw.  I know there is no way Michael and Marie could do this on their own.  Even with their whole, very large supportive families, it would be impossible to provide this network of support.  My heart was and is completely overflowing with gratitude.

As I thanked one young man who had come to help Michael all afternoon with paperwork he responded, "Oh no, thank you for letting us serve!  It's absolutely a joy.  We're in this together."   As he left, a tear trickled down my cheek.

He's right, we aren't in this alone.  We never are.  God never brings His children trials that they cannot overcome with His help.  He has graciously and abundantly provided through this trial.  His love overflows through each person that has bowed their head and lifted up my brother-in-law, my sister and my adorable nephew.  

God is at work here.

And there really is no problem - because the problem isn't there.


Thank you all.

4 comments:

Heidi Zeller said...

Thank you Hannah. I was crying as I read this. God is so good, and such support truly amazes me!

Unknown said...

Hi Heidi and Hannah,

I never even met Michael, and I was very touched my this. God is Good! He truly does take care of His children, if we would only believe this. Hugs to all of the Zellers.

Jeanette Graham
SS teacher from your "old" NJ days :)

Lisa Adams said...

Made tears come, Hannah. I love you--our family is forever linked to y'all's, and we are blessed for it. May God richly bless you & your precious extended household :) We all love you guys bunches!

Hattie said...

Oh Hannah, how wonderful. Thank you for sharing this. Love from Oregon.